Sunday, January 17, 2010

Oh, FRANCE!!!!

I'd just like to take a moment to thank France for making it that much easier to leave. Within the past week and a half, little things have happened that reminded me of how much I want to go home.

Up until then, part of me was even biting its nails about having to say goodbye. I was like, "Am I really ready to leave? What about all the things I'm going to miss when I'm back in the States." And sure, those things still exist, but all the little things... those little things... are making me say, "Know what? SEE YA!"

At this point, I'm even considering campaigning to leave two weeks EARLIER than projected. Partly because it would be easier for the pregnancy, but mostly because I don't know how I'm going to NOT go crazy over the next coupla months (short of just hermiting myself in this apartment).

To be fair, as you all know, I've discovered a lot of things about this place that I like. There are things that I like A LOT. There are things I like less. There are things I HATE. And... well... the things I HATE have become starkly OBVIOUS and are daily becoming more so.

The funny thing is, just when I put my hatred aside and try to reach back out to France in friendship, it acts like a douche. I'm done.


I GUESS it's only fair to give you an example.... I had my guard down yesterday because we were visiting Sam's family. I'll insert here that Sam and I made a little bet and he wasn't allowed to shave his face until we got an answer about leaving and had shown his new beard to both Flavia AND his mother. Sam's hair grows ridiculously fast and in less than three weeks, he has become a bearded man. I can't tell you how HOT it was, but it was... Anyhoo, so, we're visiting and some peeps arrive and one of them--who I'd grown to feel LESS disgusted about--scrinched up her face and said, "You look like you just stepped off the plane from Iraq or Afghanistant!" And she wouldn't even kiss him hello (you know, like the French DO), but held out her hand to shake.

I threw up in my mouth a little.

I'm tired of being somewhere where that kind of ignorant behavior is tolerated and mainstream.

That's a mild example. There are so many others. But I don't wanna nitpick. All's I'm sayin's it's just fucking time to go home. Sure, I don't fit in THAT well at home, either. I'm a bit of an oddball, but in recent years, peeps in the States seem to appreciate difference like I've never known before.

So, France, I'm glad we got this ALMOST two-year chance to get to know one another again, but as of now, you're raunchy little habits have plucked my last nerve. I'll try not to let the door hit me in the ass on my way out if you'll try to resist the urge to write me postcards. :D


Know what all this means? This blog will end in May, the time of my return to the States. Thanks all for following me and reading me and indulging my bitching and my dreaming and whatnot. Of COURSE, there'll be a new blog... In fact, I'm going to set it up today... Adventures in Homesteading: Friendship Farm... Soon, you'll be able to go there and hear me bitch and moan about the hardships of small farming! YAY!!! The cool part is that there'll be PICTURES. LOL!

I'll be back Tuesday and let you know what's going on with the Bud in the Gut. Cross your fingers!

No comments: